Friday, February 5, 2010

2/1-2/3 Measurable and Repeatable

I'm a little overdue on this post, but I did want to spend some discussing preparations for anyone who actually reads this thing.

Regardless of the fact that Sectionals are next week, I wanted to touch on the topic of having measurable and repeatable daily preparations for all your fitness needs. The reason I never post anything about my nutrition is because it's pretty much the same thing every day. Why? Isn't that boring? My answer is, I don't really care. Food is not entertainment for me. I can find joy in other things in my life. Also, I know what foods work for me. This way everything should stay the same from day to day, if my nutrition and sleep remain a constant. I do take it a little to the extreme side, but it works for me.

I also wanted to touch on this for all of you who are competing at Sectionals. Start thinking about what you currently do for your pre and post workout nutrition. This is a huge component to your performance. Will you be able to repeat your norm before a competition? If the answer is no, I would start tinkering with some things this week to see how your body handles it. I will share my consistent pre and post-workout meals.

1 hour pre-workout

4 oz turkey jerky
1 orange
1 handful pecans

Supplements
Fish oil, magnesium, zinc, vitamin B complex, Vitamin D, Alpha Lipoic Acid, CoQ10

This has always worked for me to take these pre-workout. I realize a lot of people have sensitive stomachs to these, so I don't necessarily recommend this for everyone.

20 minutes Post workout

1 1/2 scoops of whey protein w/ 5g L-leucine and 5g creatine
8 oz natural unsweetened applesauce

Again, this fits my needs. I would not recommend that everyone follow this.

The great thing about all of this, for me, is that it's measurable and repeatable. I am never putting anything in the way of my performance. Is there something better that I could be doing with my nutrition? Probably. But from day to day whether I'm doing my strength or conditioning, I have no excuses. Everything stays the same, and everything should continue to improve with putting in maximal effort.

Final sets of strength for the week
Press 149x4
Power Clean 213x6

Metcon

2/1
21-15-9 of: 24" box jump/53# KBS/95# SDHP

4:01

Goal was sub 4. Time would have been number 1 at Hell's Half Acre, but I was still a little disappointed I couldn't push through and get it under 4 minutes.

2/2
5 rounds for unbroken reps of:
20#WB-50/25/23/26/26
112#HPC-21-18-15-15-17

Was ok with the results of this one. Doing high volume for unbroken was a new challenge for me. Especially on these two movements. Pretty confident with both of these, but pushing to total exhaustion is something that I don't play with much.

2/3
Freddy's Revenge
5 rounds of: 5 jerks 185#/10 burpees

6:16

Only goal was to do all the jerks unbroken, and I accomplished that. Probably spent too much time waiting to unrack the bar each time, but this was almost twice as fast as the initial effort over a year ago with Rudy and Alex.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your pre and post wod meals. I've been paying much closer attention to this lately! I think ever since I focused on being consistent with what I've been eating/drinking my work outs have improved.

    ReplyDelete